Do hatchery birds get Cocci? Could this be something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heiditam, Oct 20, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    I ordered 4 red stars from McMurray, and they are the sweetest and appear very healthy. :) :) <3 Today, I noticed some blood in their stool. Or atleast one. The four red stars are at one end of the roost, and the original 4 I had are at the other, so I know it must be one of the hatchery girls. Anyhow...now...I have seen the intestinal shed thing that can be kinda red-orange, but this was definitely blood. I went on and treated them with Corid, but I am puzzled-they are vaccinated against cocci. So, could it be something else? They are acting fine, and only the hatchery birds have the gooey poop with blood in it...

Any ideas?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are several different strains of Cocci. The vaccination does not cover all of them. It is very possible your original flock is immune to that strain of Cocci but the new ones are not. I think you did the right thing to treat them.

How old are they and how recently did they come into contact with the ground? Has your weather been wet lately?

Did you feed them medicated feed or give them antibiotics the first three weeks or so that you had them? That can cause the vaccine to not work.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    They are started, look like 16-18 weeks. No medicated feed or other treatments. Had them a little over a week. During this time it has been unseasonably rainy. Rained the whole week! It is was very muddy outside coop.
    Thanks-will read that - there are a lot of strains!

5. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Kathy, I have the corid powder. I can mix it in water(first day of treatment today), but I would rather syringe...I need them to get away from the muddy coop so I am going to let them range so can't be sure they use the water... Would you happen to know the powder dose for a single bird? I have a gram scale so I can be precise :) and if you syringe dose do you still need to do it 5 days? thanks! :)

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The Cocci bug thrives in wet muddy soil with chicken manure in it. It sounds like your original flock are the carriers but since they have immunity to that strain they don’t get sick. Your new ones will eventually develop immunity to that strain, but they do need treatment. I don’t know the dosage you need.

Good luck!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can give amprolium as a drench at 20mg/kg, but it will probably work better if you also medicate their water. A 1/2 teaspoon has approximately 270mg amprolium, so you could put 1/2 teaspoon in a 12ml syringe and fill that syringe to the 10ml mark, shake well. Each one ml of it has ~27mg amprolium.

If you weigh your birds in pounds, take the weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 20, divide by 27 = the amount needed per bird.
    • 1 pound bird - 1 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 27 = 0.34ml
    • 1/2 pound bird - .5 ÷ 2.2 x 20 ÷ 27 = 0.17ml

If you weigh your birds in kg, take the weight of bird in kg, times 20, divide by 27 = the amount needed per bird.
    • 1kg bird - 1kg x 20 ÷ 27 = 0.74ml
    • 100 gram bird - 0.1kg x 20 ÷ 27 = 0.074ml

FYI, there are 200mg amprolium per gram of the powder, so you could also weigh it and dose it more precisely, but no need to be that precise, it's a very safe drug and very hard to OD with.

-Kathy

8. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Thank you so so so very much!!! :) :) :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by