Do Hatchery EE's make good Mom's?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matthewschickens, Sep 27, 2010.

1. I have a McMurray Hatchery Easter Egger that I think is broody.. Would she make a good Mom in the spring?

Thanks!

Matthew

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Only trying her out will tell. If she is broody then let her hatch a clutch in the spring. Watch her closely when the babies hatch out. Does she seem OK with it? If she seems nervous or careless or aggressive with the babies then I would take them away and hand raise them. Otherwise, I would let her give it a try.

Good luck.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 16 hens, about 6 breeds, and the only one I have who is broody right now is an EE, if that makes you feel any better.

So far, the ones who have hatched chicks have also turned out to be good chicken moms.

It's still an individual thing, of course. Good luck.

4. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    Quote:I got 3 EE bantams fro my pet chicken last aug. I gave one to a client as she was always attacking me when I went to check her nest. she was very broody. she did sit on eggs well & she hatched out a couple for my client & was a very good Mom. Bambi the 1 I kept is broody, wants to sit, but my cochin hen sadie always steals the chicks

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Two of my thre EE hens have been broody one of them raised two clutches this year and the other three. They both did a great job--even with the turkey poults that I snuck in on them.

6. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    My EE , Bambi is my sweety. she is friendly. always is chatting. The reds pick on her. the 2 chicks that R 5 wks old are Bambie's chicks, the rooster is a black silkie. Sadie 1 of my cochins stole the chicks. Sadie is a super mother hen. Thats all she wants to do. In April I snuck the 3 RIR chicks under sadie, she was in heaven. lol , it was so cute.

7. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Yes, she can! Whether your particular one will pass the "mommy test," is, however, up for grabs. [​IMG] I can tell you from personal experience- my favorite EE pullet, Creme Brulee, a beautiful burnt red and black, dutifully hatched out some baby chicks this spring. She would run at us in an extra creepy way, but she only wanted food for her babies. So yes, I'd say there's hope for you. BTW, this same momma let the chicks sit on her back!! Now that's a lovely sight!

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I had a line of EE's that started from MM chicks 25 yrs ago--never had a problem with them or their daughters raising a clutch of eggs. One of the best mother hens was one that was crippled in a dog attack--she'd adopt any stray chick, including incubator ones and raise them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by