Do hens consume more feed to gear up for laying?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BethieofVA, Jul 15, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I can not get over how much my four 18wk old pullets are eating! I know they waste quite a bit and there are no signs of any "thing" else eating their feed. I was wondering if they consume more in preparation of egg laying. I supplement alot with table scraps, etc..., but good grief they are plowing through it.

Thanks!!

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I don't know but a good layer will lay up to 240 eggs her first year. Given an average of 4-5lbs of body weight, she'll lay 30 times her body weight in a year. It stands to reason they begin to chow down in preparation for churning out eggs.

3. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Thank you for your reply. I was thinking they might be having a "growth spurt" like a kid. LOL!

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    A friend of mine actually made the observation that it seems her pullets eat the most just before they start laying. Then as soon as they start laying the food consumption noticeably decreases.

5. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:I hope that is soooo true, because I want an egg some kinda bad. LOL![​IMG]

6. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    You are not alone. Ours are the same age and eating like crazy. Teenage growth spurt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by