1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens "crow" like roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jon J, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Jon J

Jon J Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    I have three big plump white hens. I had another white one that turned out to be a roo instead. Of the three, One is now crowing like a roo but has the large body of a hen. The other white roo is half the size of the three white hens, So I'm kind of puzzled here. Thanks.

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    [​IMG] nope [​IMG] hens don't crow so undoubtly you have yourself another roo

Hens go..... bak-bak-bak

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  3. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    ive always been told that some hens can and will crow, especially if there was a roo that had been in the flock and was removed.

2 people like this.
  4. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

None of my hens crow, but they sure can give my roo a good talking to! [​IMG]

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Hens will crow from time to time. It's not common, but not THAT unusual either. As firem said, often crowing hens happen when there is no rooster in the flock and a dominate hen takes on the role of the rooster.

2 people like this.
  6. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    When I introduced a new rooster once...it made my Blue Ameraucana mad...she leaned back and let out a crow. It was the funniest thing ever. We later took the roo out and she went back to normal. Guess it wasnt love at first sight hah
    [​IMG]

7. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow...this can really happen? I have 4, 13 week old Patridge Chanteclers. I thought I had 4 hens however.....this week, one began the mornings with "CaCaaw.....CaCaaw". With no wattles or combs it is not so easy to identify roosters. There is no evidence of spurs whatsoever. The only difference is in the feathering pattern.

I'm guessing a few more weeks will tell me for sure?

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It most certainly CAN happen.
    I had a bird that was a true hermaphrodite...Slifer the Sky Dragon had huge spurs, was male feathered, and crowed. I put her on female hormones for a month and she STILL crowed, but laid me a beautiful baby yellow egg.

My 5 year old Leghorn hen, Obelisk the Tormentor, is done with her egglaying for the year. She's been moulting since July. And she's also crowing, so it's a hormonal thing with her.

1 person likes this.
  9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hens sometimes will crow, they will also grow spurs (they don't make sexing easy for us, do they?). Not a normal hen behavior, but yes, it does happen.

1 person likes this.
  10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I think there are many conversations about this. It seems like it comes up about twice a day lately. Must be Hen crowing season or something...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by