Do hen's do mount other hens? Pic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tracie70, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Tracie70

Tracie70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Hi Everyone?
    I have this RIR that I always thought was a hen because the RIR I have has a much bigger and redder comb and they are the exact same age, 4 months. Okay the other day I was outside with my flock and noticed my nice sweet little innocent girl, lol was mounting one of my older EE. I do have other Roo's in the pen that are just about 4 months old as well. I am not sure if mounting is a definite trait of a rooster. I know in dogs girls and boys will mount. I have this picture but it is an older one about 3 months of age. I can always get a new one if needed. So did my girl turn boy. LOL
    [​IMG]

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, hens will sometimes mount other hens to exhibit dominance, but that RIR just says 'ROO' to me. The tail looks boyish. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

3. Tracie70

Mar 24, 2010
    This is an older pic. So what should I look for in the tail. Thanks again for your response. The other RIR that I got with him is looking a roo, way bigger and redder comb and the tail feathers are bluish in color and starting to go up and curl down. This one is still a flat bushiest tail.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Rooster can mature differently at different ages and times. I've had boys who I knew were roos at 3 weeks and others at 5 months! The reason I'm looking at the tail is because it seems really shiny and the feathers at the end are really round and 'droopy' looking, signature signs of an immature rooster in the making. Also, the face is really red for a 4 month old, especially because you say that the picture in question is old. Hens don't get that red unless they're laying eggs or are close to it. Also, if you have roosters in with him, and he was mating, that leaves a very slim chance he's a she. Hens usually only mate other hens (if at all) when there are no boys present or they don't play an active role in flock-social life, dominance-wise. If you have boys in that group, this bird is most likely mating because he's a boy.

5. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i have 4 RIR roos that are 14 wks old....2 have tail feathers that are boxey, 1 has tail feathers that are long and curley and the other has only 1 tail feather sticking out. i have no idea what's up with him! but yours looks like it could be a slower developing male..my pullet has a tinny comb and wattles. i think you got another roo.

6. Tracie70

Mar 24, 2010
    Oh shoot, I was hoping he was a she. Oh well, I guess I have another rooster.... Thanks so much for your help....I bought 8 baby chicks at a flea market and now they are all becoming roosters. I have 7 for sure that are roo's. What a mess....I think the lady new and she saw me with my kids coming from a mile away...

7. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    you're not the only one that didn't choose very wisely..i pick 6 RIR from a staight run bin and 5 ended up being roos....had to order some "girlfriends" for my pullet..poor thing comes running to me to pick her up to get her away from those meany boys!!

8. Tracie70

Mar 24, 2010
    Katdam

Kids needed me, sorry couldn't ask this earlier. I noticed you are from Texas, By any chance did this straight run bin you went to, was it at the Canton First Monday. That is were I got my 7 out of 8 roo's. Just curious...

9. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    no..i got mine at tractor supply..i'm in amarillo...i was a newbie and didn't know what straight run meant and no one who worked there didn't seem to know either..but thanks to this website if feel very confident in my chicken sense [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by