1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens eat and drink at night?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by konachicks, Dec 14, 2014.

1. konachicks

konachicks Chillin' With My Peeps

aloha,
    I'm trying to figure out the best feeding/watering containers for our smaller coop. While researching space saving ideas, it got me thinking...do they eat and drink at night?
    My girls free range during the day. I have their coop open so they can come and go and eat/drink as they please but was wondering if they HAVE to have it in the coop at night?

2. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    my girls never come out during the night...my ducks will if i leave the coop door open but the chickens wont...i close the coop doors up every night now and their fine specialy since they never got up before anyway....so i pick up their feeder and bring it inside. their water stays in the run but the feeeder only gouse back out at dawn when i open the coop up and let them out for the day

3. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    I have a small coop as well. Chickens don't eat or drink after dark once they have gone to roost so there is really no reason to keep food or water in there.

1 person likes this.
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    True they don't eat or drink at night while they sleep. But there is a reason to keep some in the coop... the days you don't get up when they do and then they have to wait for you. If you are one to get up with the birds or don't light the coop in the AM, your good with leaving them out.

5. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I have been forced to keep food and water in my little coop, because on cold or windy days they will not come down out of it. I don't have a door on it either. My hen is molting hard, so she hides in there even when it is nice outside lately. What I did was put the brooder waterer and a bowl of food inside on top of the nesting boxes. I need to get some hanging treats in there to entertain them as well.

6. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Yea this is a good point. I'm up at 6am every day but if I wasn't.. well I am pretty sure they would start eating each other by 9am

7. konachicks

konachicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha thanks everyone! I let them out at 6:30-7am on my days off, and my kids let them out when I work. The only days they stay in is mon/tues as its my long work days and I don't get home till 3pm. Because they're still peeping I don't like them out of im not home because mongoose are attracted to peeping. And my mother in law probably wouldn't save them lol
    I have 2 9 week pullets that don't peep but 7 6 week pullets that do and is be so sad if mongoose got them

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don't see very well in darkness.

They will not roam or move much at all until they have sufficient light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by