1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens ever CROW?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MakeMineCadburys, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MakeMineCadburys

MakeMineCadburys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    I'm only supposed to have girls out there ... and I just heard a noise that sounded suspiciously like crowing ... do hens ever crow?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've had hens make a crow like sound before. In fact one was so loud that I had to rehome her.

3. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Sometimes, escpecially if there are no roosters around, a hen will take over flock-guarding duties and occasionally crow.

4. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Yes.
    We once had a hen, who must have been over ten years old, who went through menopause, stopped laying, and started crowing.
    She had been such a good hen for so long that we kept her anyway.

However, if you have a bunch of hens sexed as chicks, they only have about a 90% accuracy, and you probably have a roo hiding in there.
    -Zay

5. Starscream4Ever

Starscream4Ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Chubsville, Duckyland
    I've heard RAWK noises, but not crowing noises.

6. MakeMineCadburys

MakeMineCadburys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    Well ... I posted a photo in the "Roo or Hen" section here and ... he's a HE. UGH. Can't have roo's here. Anyone in the inland empire (CA) that wants to trade a roo for a hen?? Please??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by