Do hens ever lay more than one egg a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dustcover, Mar 5, 2017.

1. dustcover

dustcover Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    This may seem like a silly question but I'm perplexed. My flock of 9 consists of 2 RI Reds, 2 Black Australorps, a White Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and an Ameraucana. Up until now I've been able to distinguish which hen lays which egg based on size, color, and shape. And I chart them daily. But today I gathered 7 eggs and none of them matched up with the tinted white egg that the Ameraucana generally lays nor that of the rich copper-colored eggs normally laid by the 2 Australorps.

So either the Ameraucana or one of the Australorps has dramatically and abruptly changed the color of their egg or one of my hens did double duty today by laying two?!

This is the first time in the past year that something of this sort has occurred. So call me obsessive/compulsive, but how do I account for this extra egg on my chart?????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes, they can lay more than one egg in a day.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    From my understanding some people get two eggs a day occasionally, but it wouldn't be normal. Coloring of eggs can change, many get lighter. I tend to compare shape more, but even that changes.

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    My RIR and EEs have done this in the past on their first year of laying and the second eggs for the day are normally slightly different colors (lighter) or does not have eggshells.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Take a best guess(shape is good to go by) and record with a question mark.
    Things can be glitchy...get used to it.
    I kept track of individual pullet eggs first year... were only 6 and they were easy to distinguish.
    Next year too many birds over all, 10 pullets, I gave up.

Curious that your 'Ameraucana' lays 'tinted white' eggs.......must be an EE, eh?

6. dustcover

dustcover Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    Thanks for your insightful response Flock Master.

And by the way, the hen that I refer to as an Ameracuana lays eggs that are white with a very subtle hint of pale green, as opposed to the often referred to pale blue. So perhaps she is something other than an Ameracuana. Which prompts me to ask, what is an EE? [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Easter Egger
    this will explain the issue.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/128806/differences-ee-ameraucana-araucana-pls-post-pics

Ther are other threads too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by