1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens fight?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Elwar, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Elwar

Elwar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Hudson, FL
    Ok, my 4 chicks are at about 6 weeks old. The farmer I bought them from was fairly certain that they were all females but couldn't guarantee it.

So this morning I took them from the brooder to the run to enjoy the day and the two biggest chicks started "fighting". They were standing up as high as they could bumping chests and attempting to peck at the back of the other's neck. Does that make them roosters?

I'm hoping that it's because one of the chicks has been the dominant one for a long time but the other one has grown to be the biggest and she might not like being pushed around anymore now that she's the biggest of them all.

At what age can I tell from just looking at them?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, this definitely does not mean they are roosters; hens do this, too, as you suspected.

The age when you can tell depends partly on the breed.

If you have a way to post pics, you should get some well educated guesses, though 6 weeks might be a bit young.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hens fight as chicks, adults...and I've had hens kill each other. No, they were not game hens. They were production bred Wyandottes and Barred Plymouth Rocks.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Interestingly yesterday I watched 2 newish Cochin Hens challenge a older B.Cochin hen that has been out of the pen due to "maternity leave", and it was quite a dance that went on. The flew over the top of one another until someone grabbed feathers and rolled a bit, but the elder of the hens won. There was no blood or uncontrolded roughness. But we knew who figured out that battle!
    If you do have a roo, he will step in between the two hens.
    Rod- poultry are carnivorus, once they see blood, even a red dot will put them into a picking feeding frenzy (not just like a shark but pretty darn close!) and they will consume the looser.
    That is one reason I don't think much about feeding them cooked chicken, atleast its not Raw! [​IMG]

These actions are considered Pecking Order the one who wins is the higher up on the ladder.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I tell everyone that birds are "cannibals" and don't see it as eating one of their flock...just pecking at something that draws their attention.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Chickens will eat anything that dont eat them first.. [​IMG]
    My Rhode Island Reds love Raw liver they will all fight over it...

Chris

7. billyt123

billyt123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    I had two chickens I added two more went out this morning and one of the two that I had first now has some blood on her feathers will they all get along sooner or later. Anyone have any input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by