Do hens fight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I have what I think are three hens, about 5 months old (no eggs yet). But I saw two of them standing up and posturing this morning and kind of chesting each other. Isn't that a rooster thing? Do I have two roosters?

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hens do it sometimes, too.

3. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I think they are making pecking order. I have had hens fight with roosters at that age. Its kind of funny, they think they are so tough! Do you have a picture?

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Hens fight too... sometimes more than the roos. [​IMG]

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    It is not necessarily a rooster thing. I have a banty hen that will jump on bigger hens. She will fight the mirror just like a roo as well too. She will actually fight the mirror all day if you let her. When I have her in the house awhile where she cannot hear the roos as well she will even occasionally crow. She is definitely a hen because she lays eggs and she is currently broody.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  6. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    My white leghorn hens will fight like a rooster. Chest out, feathers on their neck raised and they flog each other over and over.

They did this when I moved them all together into 1 house. I assume they were establishing dominance.

Now they just peck each other on the comb and drag each other around the house when they get in a tuff. It is just harmless spats, no blood is drawn.

I did try to put 2 other hens in with them for about 30 minutes. The 2 dominate hens went at it for 30 minutes. I had to remove the new hens. They would have fought until one killed the other or passed out trying.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My little three week old chicks are starting that too! lol They are deciding their pecking order already! [​IMG]

8. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    You will have Bosses or try to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by