1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens get spurs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicola, May 4, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i have 3 sexed pullets and all 3 of then have itty bitty little nubs like the size of a needle on the back of their legs is that normal? they area about 5-6 weeks old and are RIR cross leghorn

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Many baby chicks of both sexes get those lil' nubs. They do it to confuse you.

And yes, some adult hens grow spurs.

3. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    so it is ok

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Yeah they all have those little nubs. I actually have some hens with full spurs. I had 2 welsummer hens both with full spurs. Most of the time it just stays as the a little nub though.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes they can, but the hens usually don't get them until they are older and mature. By then they have been laying for a while..

6. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:the nubs or spurs?
    and one of them has a redder comb than the others but they are all girls ill try and take some photos of them and i cant exactly remember how old they are

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:the nubs or spurs?
    and one of them has a redder comb than the others but they are all girls ill try and take some photos of them and i cant exactly remember how old they are

The nubs grow into the spurs. They just don't grow as fast as a rooster's. At chick age however, they are all uniformly the same size which is why looking for spurs is not a good way to sex chicks.

8. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    im not sexing them by that they were already sexed when i bought them i think they were sexed by steggles or something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by