Do hens grieve

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MaznGaz, Oct 28, 2015.

1. MaznGaz

MaznGaz New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    We have just lost one of our Blue Delawares and her companion is missing her like crazy (I think). Mega2 had a cyst that impeded her eating as it had grown inside as well as being very visible outside under her beak. Mega 1 is obviously now very lonely, is there anything that I can do for her? She is plucking out feathers from under her wind which concerns me.

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! [​IMG] Welcome! I wish it was under better circumstances. I'm terribly sorry for your loss of Mega 2. Chickens don't ponder or grieve like we do, but they are quite social and do form very strong bonds. I suggest possibly a treat ball, an ear of cooked sweet corn, things like that to occupy her time? Also I would search for a couple docile new friends for her. You can check the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=in+need+of+rehoming
    Or if you type in your location in the search bar, you can shout out to neighbors in your area.
    You might ask at feed stores as well. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry for your loss. Mutt Farm has given you some good ideas to try. Chickens don't initially handle change very well (at least mine don't) but they do seem to get used to things quickly, hopefully your girl will be ok soon.

Thanks for joining us!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm very sorry to read about the loss of Mega2 :hugs It's always very sad when a flock members is lost both for the keeper and remaining flock members. I believe they do grieve amd have certainly seen this myself within my own flock. Mutt has left you some good advice on getting a new friend for Mega1. You might also like to check out this article ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/do-poultry-actually-mourn-over-the-loss-of-a-flock-mate
    It's a very good insight into the loss of flock members.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Did you only have the two chickens? If so it's probably not so much grieving as stressing she is on her own as they are very much flock birds and don't do well alone. You might need to look into getting her a companion.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Yes they grieve

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They do grieve, my friend's older special needs house rooster just passed at about 5 yrs. old. She did let the 3 house hens view the body. They have been very quiet since.
    I think the best thing to do is give you things to keep her busy, and if she is a cuddly type - give her some extra hugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by