Do hens have cycles lol?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christina1982, Sep 14, 2011.

1. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Ok, I know it takes 25 hours from start to finish, but how long does it take for them to lay...regular ?

I have 2 that started laying on the 3rd. My White Rock has laid 4 eggs in 12 days. My Leghorn has laid 7 in 11 days.

On average my WR lays every 3 days. Is that how she will always lay, 3 eggs per week? Or do I need to give her more time to lay on a daily (if they do) basis?

Also, my WR laid this morning and it looked had white speckles on it. When I wet the speckles they disappeared and the came back after a minute or so. What is that? Is that the coating the eggs have when they are laid?

Thanks in advanced!

Christina.

2. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Hi Christina,

It must take a while because I have two chickens that have forgot what their job is. I have an Australorp that hasn't laid in over two months and is a year old. I have Sussex-a year old that lays once a week, but she thinks she is doing something on a regular basis. She will sit on an empty nest for four or five hours and leaves nothing. So frustrating to think we went through all the building and changing our backyard to add dogs that look like chickens.

I'm sure that doesn't help you at all, but I feel better having vented.

Thanks! And good luck.

Sue

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by