Do hens have false alarms?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbstephens, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning I saw my laying EE in her nesting box. I had to go somewhere and wouldn't return for several hours. I figured I'd collect the egg when I returned, but when I checked the nesting box it was empty. I checked around the coop and found nothing. Last week she laid a soft shelled egg. I found it in the coop. Maybe she had another and one of the others ate it? Or do hens sometimes have false alarms?

2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Maybe one of your chickens ate it or maybe chickens do have false alarms.

4. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I've seen my BR pullet hop into the nest box sit there for an hour singing her egg song and not lay. So maybe they do or maybe it's just the young pullets that do.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I think they do. I notice it more with my pullets then with the older hens. I think they're practicing. I'll see one of the girls in the box and then after awhile she'll leave and there won't be an egg. I've actually been out there a few time when they've left the empty nest (I spend WAY too much time with my chickens!) so I know they're not eating the eggs. Once a pullet was in the nest when I came out, left it and got into another nest, and when I came back out later she had left a lovely little pullet sized egg in the second nest

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    my pullet had lots of false alarms. but if i were you, i would also make a point of feeling gently on her abdomen from time to time to make sure she doesn't have something stuck.

7. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    They may have false alarms for a few days before laying, and might even try out a little egg song.

Do check and make sure she's not egg-bound, though.

Also - when they first start laying, they can be unusually skittish or agressive for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by