do hens know when eggs are soon to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by econerd, Aug 18, 2013.

1. econerd

econerd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    UK
    bit of an odd question I know, but do broody hens know when eggs are soon to hatch? I've got a broody on eggs which are due to hatch tomorrow and I've noticed this afternoon she's really attentive with pulling bits of straw around her, which she has been doing the whole time but she's doing it much more now. she had 6 eggs but I think only one has a chick in it, saw it move a week ago.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Yes, sometimes they "talk" to the unhatched chicks too. I once saw/heard one of my broody hens chatting away to her eggs, which hatched the next day. Good luck with your hatch and enjoy!

3. econerd

Oct 19, 2010
    UK
    well the chick is still alive in the egg, just managed to candle it, no signs of hatching and I don't think its internally pipped yet. he/she is taking its time as should be any day now. yesterday was day 21 so fingers crossed

4. econerd

Oct 19, 2010
    UK
    still no sign of hatching, its still alive, I can see it moving. 21 days is up

5. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I'd leave the egg alone at this point and just wait. Every time it cools down or loses humidity there's a greater chance it won't hatch. Good luck, hope you have a peep soon!

6. econerd

Oct 19, 2010
    UK
    yeah, I am, just wanted to check it was still alive as hadn't candled since the week before. chook is defo more active and adgitated today.

7. econerd

Oct 19, 2010
    UK
    so its day 23 and no sign of hatching. candled yesterday and it was moving., but dont thing it was internally pipped. do I help it or leave it?

8. econerd

Oct 19, 2010
    UK
    oh, and I'm in the UK, so its naturally very humid, esspecialy as we've had a lot of rain, so the ground is saturated and now we've had 2 days of hot sun so its as muggy as hell now.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm a hands-off-let-nature-take-its-course kind of person. The chick will hatch when it's ready, if it's strong enough to make it out of the egg on its own. When people help too soon, they can cause more harm than good. It's your choice, entirely, of course, but that's how I do things.

10. econerd

Oct 19, 2010
    UK
    it just hatched all on its own, was just a late starter lol. only one so far but not expecting more. will post pics tomorrow as its still wet and hiding under mum. plus its 11:30 pm lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by