Do hens lay in the same nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammysam, Nov 25, 2009.

1. sammysam

sammysam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    hawaii
    Or do they use the others as well?

2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    All of mine use the same nesting box,Although some of my dads use different box's.

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    yes, and it drives me batty b.c. i do not understand 'why'. I have four nice fluffly, hay lined, perfectly dark and hidden boxes and they all use just that one.

4. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    all 10 of ours use a corner ON THE FLOOR!!! i've tried everything now, I have given up on the nests, i make sure the corner is clean and has lots of pine shavings....all is good!
    melinda [​IMG]

5. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    They like to lay where there is already an egg. Mine usually go back and forth between 2 favorite boxes, with most of the eggs ending up in the corner box. It's like they get in line or something and if somebody "really has to go" they might settle for the other box. I've seen them pace the floor, holding it in, waiting for the corner box! Silly chickens...

[​IMG]

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Mine line up like an airport runway, all except one who paces until it's her turn. By the way, we have about 10 identical boxes, 8 of which are never used.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always have a golf ball in each nest... that said, most still lay in the same box.

8. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    It seems to depend on their mood or sense of urgency. I have 10 hens and 9 boxes. 3 or 4 of the nests have never been used. Those are closest to the door, don't know if that's the reason or not. Yesterday was a first, one nest had 5 eggs in it and one was on top of the other four like a pyramid. I have had 2 hens in the same nest at the same time. I've watched them go from nest to nest until satisfied that that's where they want to make a home. I guess their just like any bird the location has to be right.

9. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    We have a flock of 19 hens and pullets - some BO's, some RIR's, a few sex-links and OEG pullets. We have ten nest boxes. We clean the nests every week and put in fresh hay. You can tell that there have been hens in each of the nests, but they only lay in one. It's not always the same one - it's like they test each nest to see which one is the most comfy and use that one.[​IMG]

10. coop's chicks

coop's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    Southeastern Ontario
    mine sure do....I have 12 nests and they all (8) lay in only about 3 nests....most of them in one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by