Do hens mimic roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by missaschickens, Jun 23, 2008.

1. missaschickens

missaschickens New Egg

Jun 23, 2008
    Prescott, Washington
    I'm new to this chicken raising thing, so please don't laugh. I bought 10 chicks from a local feedstore in March. They were just one week old when I brought them home. I knew that they were a mix of males and females. About a month and a half ago, I had one chicken start crowing (Ronnie Rooster) in the last week I noticed 2 other (thought to be hens) crowing. They don't sound the same. Do hens mimic roosters? Please tell me they do. I really love my chickens and don't want to part with any of them.

2. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the answer to that question is 'yes'.

At least, this past week we have a hen (a real egglaying-type adult) who sounds like she is trying to crow. It's not a matter of there being no roosters in the yard - we have more than our share - but she's just suddenly taken on the desire to join in with them when they all start their crowing chorus during the day. She sounds like she's going to drop dead from the croup - she just can't get her voice wrapped around it. But hey, it doesn't mean she can't try.

We've also had younger chickens try to crow but in most of those cases - they've all turned out to be roosters.

3. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I have a year old hen who tries to mate with her sister. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

She hasn't tried to crow though.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think all young (teen) animals can go through some gender confusion. I watch the young heifers on our place try to mate with the other heifers quite often.
    Having said that, a little bit of chicken trivia I found in an old chicken book: In flocks without a rooster, it's possible for the top hen to stop laying, start crowing, and basically assume the role of rooster in the flock.

5. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I have some 2 year old hens that are "mounting" my 1 year olds. Seems to be a power thing. They go for the same ones each time.

6. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    OMG.. I was just going to ask this question myself!! I swear my BA pullet is trying to crow! I'm assuming she's a girl that is....I'm waiting to see.

Sheesh..this whole chicken thing can be so confusing sometimes...[​IMG]

7. CudasChicks

CudasChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    I actually have a Rooster who I swear is making neighing sounds like my horse! Our coop is part of the horses corral so they do interact everyday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by