Do hens need a rooster around?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ricemazter, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ricemazter

ricemazter Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I live in a subdivision where unfortunately chickens are prohibited, and we have tried twice now to raise chickens in the area. The first time we got 3 roosters and one hen, we got rid of two roosters and the last one and the hen we gave away to a new home so they wouldnt be separated. This time the exact same thing happened. we got rid of two when someone told us at the swap that one of them might be a hen. So we took him home and not two miles into the ride he began crowing. Now we have to find a home for him because the crowing is increasing every day. I am worried about the one hen's state of mind since I know that chickens are group animals that like company. So, I was wondering if hens need a rooster to be happy or if another hen will suffice to keep them happy or if we need to give both of them away again together. I'm sure the rooster will be find since we will be sure to give him to a nice home but Im concerned about the hen.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Hens are fine without the rooster, don't worry. They will lay and do everything they usually do

3. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    No, Normally hens don't need Roos. Actually it benifits them, because with the mating and clawing and viciously attacking the hens, hens just get stressed out.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] No, hens do not a rooster, but they do need companionship. Get another hen or hens as company for your present hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by