Do hens need privacy while laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BroomFarm, Aug 8, 2009.

1. BroomFarm

BroomFarm In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Mooresville
    We have a coop with a door that opens up to allow easy access to the nest boxes. ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=30118 )

We leave the door open during hot days, with a screen closing it off so the girls don't try to escape. We close it up at night, but open it first thing in the morning, when we feed them.

My question is this: Will the hens be less likely to lay in the nest boxes because the back side of them is open?

2. The Zoo

The Zoo Songster

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Probably depends on the chickens - mine don't care who watches them lay. [​IMG]

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Several of mine lay with me watching. It doesn't look like fun, but they have short memories I guess.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think they do prefer the privacy. The reason I say this is because my hens all laid in their open nestboxes just fine, until I added an enclosed one in an out of the way location in the coop. Now they all line up to use the private one.

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    The only one I have laying so far is just like her momma and will fuss at you to leave and when she can't see you she'll go lay.

6. foweler

foweler Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Chico, CA
    My Red wouldn't lay in the nest until I made it darker and privater (sic).

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Most of my hens don't mind it....the kids will watch as it comes out "her butt" LOL and some of them yell and scatter as soon as we walk into the coop. Depends on the hen, I think.

8. EAST TEXAROO

EAST TEXAROO In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Larue
    Mine give me dirty looks and sqawks at me like they are calling me a pervert

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    some of mine do and some dont ive sat in the coop for hours watching some lay and one yell at me to get out so they could lol

10. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    You'll always get better production if you give them a quiet, dark, safe spot with little activity - so yes. [​IMG] To do their best they do.

(p.s. That being said, I still like to see if I can catch them in action! Sometimes curiosity > productivity.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: