1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens of any breed have a green sheen to their feathers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elabraleon, Dec 26, 2010.

1. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I have a chick (13 wks old) that was sold to me as a female barred rock, but Ive been suspicious about its sex for months and posted pics a few times asking for opinions. Responses were mixed/confused. Today I noticed a slight green sheen to the feathers on its back.
    Any chance of it being a mixed breed female, or is it certainly a black sexlink male?
    Thanks!
    Elaine

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    My black sex-link hens have a green sheen to them in the sun

3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Austalorps hens have green irridescent feathers on their sides... everywhere else is black. If your pullet looks like a barred rock with some greenish, it's probably a male, though.

4. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    my black sexlink hens have a green sheen in the sun

are they barred?​

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

any pics?

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Yes - any hen with nice black feathers can have a green sheen on the black areas.
    Here's a few of mine for illustration:

barnevelder (not the best pic, but the green does show up on the black parts of her feathers)
    [​IMG]

Black stars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also seen the black sheen on my black australorp, black ameraucana, and white crested black polish pullets.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My BR hens had a greenish sheen on thier black barring when they were younger. I've noticed as they've aged both they and my BSL hens are fading to more of a brown, or maybe sunburnt black, without the highlights of the true black. At thirteen weeks I would think you could have a good idea by the comb and leg thickness. Maybe try posting again?

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    At 13 weeks; a female barred rock will still have a small comb and fairly small wattles. Barred rocks are also easily sexed by coloring - if you post a pic, we can tell you for sure.

9. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    australorp, dark cornsish

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

My Houdans do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by