1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do hens raise their hAckles or do just roosters do that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenniferlamar70, May 17, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I had 2, 5 week old silver laced wyandottes get in a tiff earlier pecking and raising their hackles. Could thisEan their roosters or do hens do it too?

2. kellybea73

kellybea73 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2015
    Alabama
    I am new to this, but I would say yes. Just 3 days ago my broody chicken raised hers up and went all Rambo on another hen that got to close to her baby chicks. Then they started raising them up to each other as if they were roosters fighting for top dog spot.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh yes...male or female will puff and and front one another....from chick-hood on. I had an old hen and a young rooster going at it last week - I swear it looked like two roosters squaring off - circling with heads down...hackles splayed out like a porcupine's quills.

4. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Ok. I have 2 suspected roosters and they were raising their hackles at each other. Was hoping this would be a confirmation for me lol. I guess we will know when they crow lol. :)

5. kellybea73

May 31, 2015
    Alabama

Last year I had the hardest time figuring out pullets and roos this yearit has been much easier. Usually is the comb is brightred/pink and appears pretty quick it's a boy. I had 3 wyandotte's last year one blue laced and to gold. The boys had a comb quick and my girl is a year old and still barely has any.

6. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Can I share a pic? Mines started at about 3 weeks. All the rest are just now starting to get theirs and they are way lighter. :)

7. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    These 2 i suspect may be cockerels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last one is a pullet for sure. Just posted for reference of what the others look like. :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In the first pic you have two definite cockerels, and the one in the back may be also.

9. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Thanks. Those are the ones that were raising their hackles and tiffing today. They both have iridescent green on their backs as well. I've suspected they were boys..

10. kellybea73

May 31, 2015
    Alabama
    I was going to say the same thing. 2 boys and a girl. They are very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by