Do hens raise their neck feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SusanH, May 3, 2009.

1. SusanH

SusanH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    upstate SC
    Hello all,

I've got a dozen 6 week old chicks and while I'm pretty sure I have 3 roos, I have some that I thought were hens that seem to be exhibiting some male behaviors.

They will lower their heds and the feathers around their necks will flare out like I've seen roosters do when they are challenging each other. Is this what's called establishing a "pecking order"?

I have a chick that has a comb that's a little large, but it's totally yellow and there are no obvious spurs on the legs, just the little bumps. But she will chase other hens and challenge even the small boys.

Do hens act this way? These are the first chickens I've ever owned, RIR, and I love them! [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Yes hens do it..I had a hen I thought was a male and turned out to be my best hen..

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  3. SusanH

Mar 31, 2009
    upstate SC
    That's encouraging, because the hen that does it the most is also my favorite. I keep checking her for spurs and a larger comb because I don't want her to be a boy! [​IMG]

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] keep your fingers crossed you only have a 50/50 chance (LOL) [​IMG]

5. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    I have 3 broody buff rocks right now that raise their neck feathers when I go to take them out of the nest box.

6. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have two hens that are battling for the top of the pecking order. They'll do it several times a day at each other. I saw it for the first time last week and I had the same reaction as you. How old are yours?

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My two top hens have been battling for months now. My rooster has to step in and break up their knock down, drag out fights.

8. SusanH

Mar 31, 2009
    upstate SC
    Quote:They are 6 weeks old.

9. SusanH

Mar 31, 2009
    upstate SC
    Quote:My two top hens have been battling for months now. My rooster has to step in and break up their knock down, drag out fights.

hehehehe...women [​IMG]

I've told my hubby about my MIL or mom moving in with us...it's hard to have 2 Queens in the house...there is only room for one...and that's ME. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by