Do hens sometimes stop laying after a few months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by featherfooted, Apr 26, 2009.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Do hens sometimes take a break from laying after a few months when not moulting? I have a few hens that their combs have gotten pale and the egg production has dropped some, so I was wondering if some of my hens have stopped laying. They all seem health. One is an Easter Egger and the other is a Barred Rock. Is this normal or should I worry? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I find my EE's to be rather fickle layers. They lay when they want, not like a NORMAL bird. The only BR's I have now are just babies, so I can't answer that one for you.

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd like that answer too. My girls were going great and then within the last few days we've been getting 3 eggs from 12 layers.

Sonja

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'd like to know that answer too. I have a Columbian Wyandotte that stopped laying for like 4 months, then she started again. She doesn't lay regularly, like some of my other girls though. She will be 2 y/o shortly. [​IMG]

5. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I have 2 EE's that started laying in January but now I haven't had a green egg in maybe 2 weeks. They're not moulting either.

One thing--did it get really hot in your area? These past few days here have been extremely hot and I'm worried it will slow the others down as well.

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    If you want eggs get a bird bred for eggs like ISA Browns (red sexlinked). Mine never quit the first year.

7. mylilchix

I have RIR and BA which are supposed to be very good layers. i'm just wondering if our crazy weather is effecting them. One day it's in the 70s the next we're getting snow!

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This site has a discussion on why hens stop laying. If there is a sudden drop it is important to understand why. It may be very natural and normal or it may signify an egg-eater or a predator that needs to be dealt with.

A lot of variety in when they lay is normal in some chickens while some chickens are virtual egg machines.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/poultry/factsheets/34.html

9. mylilchix

Thanks for the link! That was helpful. I really think the weather is effecting my girls now. Last weekend we had 3 feet of snow which melted last week while weather was in the 60s. It been damp around here during the melt. Just woke up to another 6", yuck!!!

Sonja

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Ridgerunner, thanks, I'm going to have to check it out too. Put some insight into this stopping egg laying thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by