Do hens turn their eggs???? Dumb question, I know!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by baldie, Oct 22, 2008.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Okay, So I was talking to my signifigant other last night. I would really like to start hatching some of my own eggs. Well, we were discussing which incubator we might want to get (I was looking at McMurrays). He said we absolutely would need an automatic turner, because and I quote, "Hens turn their eggs", I definitely do not belive this, but maybe they do. We argued till about 2:00 a.m. about this. I want to win this argument, so I hope I was right.

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Mine got up probably twice a day and kind of switched which side of the box she was going to sit on and pulled her eggs with her, so in a way, yes she turned them.

3. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

he was right. Hens do turn their eggs.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They "turn" their eggs by moving them and tucking them back under when they move around or get back on the nest.

5. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Aw man!!! Well I am not going to tell him he was right. He doesn't come on here often anyway, maybe he'll forget the whole thing. I figured if they tried to turn them they would break them. Thanks guys!![​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    That sucks, hubby won...... LOL !!!!!! I feel for yah(I hate it when mine wins)!!!!!

Yes, they turn them by rolling them many times a day !!!!

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Not a dumb question. The answer to your question is YES..hens do turn their eggs. So..your significant other is right. Don't you hate it when your wrong!![​IMG]

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:There yah go, just don't tell him !!!!! Make sure if and when you do an incubator and start hatching if you dont get a turner you turn them by hand 3-6 times a day !!!! If you dont the chicks will stick to the shell and you wont have very good hatches !!!

9. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Yes, especially when he never lets it go, he's gonna tell everyone about this one!!! Oh well!!! But at least I know the answer. Do any of you know where I could get a cheap incubator??

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:How much are you looking to spend ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by