Do hens usually try to get underneath each other?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Jan 25, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have an EE named Doris she is always trying to get under my Cochin Luna. Luna is the alpha girl only half the size of Doris. Today I watched Doris put her head under Luna and try to flip her off the roost.

I've never seen this behavior with any of my other girls.

2. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    Once I introduced some young (not quite full grown) hens an a few rooster to the big run, and one of the younger roosters took to one of the hens already in the run and she in turn adopted him as her son. They were always together. they would hang out on the roosting polls together and she would cover him with her wing. He would snuggle up under her for protection from the other birds.
    It was very cute.

3. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a big 'ol roo who won't settle on the roost until he has snuggled his head under a hen! [​IMG]

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I saw one of my roosters covering one of the hens with his wing the other night. I thought it was cute.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The low pullet on the totem pole here likes to put her head under the rooster. She's now his favorite so apparently he's into it. [​IMG] It used to be him sticking his head under whichever pullet was closest and cheeping like a baby.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I see mine doing this & it seems she's trying to get on the other side of the chicken. In other words hey girl thats my spot on the roost.

7. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    We recently got a 3 month old serama pullet for our serama roo, she just loves him so much, tries to get under him every chance there is. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by