do I count day one or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thecityman, Jun 30, 2010.

1. thecityman

thecityman Chirping

Jun 14, 2010
    Orlinda, TN
    I've had people tell me that day one of incubation doesn't count, and I've been told it does.....what's the truth? Currently, I'm referring to coturnix quail eggs, if it matters. THe listed time period seems to be 16 days, but I am unclear how to calculate that. Its fairly important to me right now because I'm trying to figure out if my (whopping) 3 eggs are in trouble or not. I set them at noon on Tuesday, June 8. It is now Thursday, July. If day one counts, then I think I'm on day 17. I know a day over isn't necessarily a sign of bad things, but candeling my eggs over the last 2 days I see movement AND it appears they're heads are into the airsack since yesterday...so I'm worried. Should I be? thanks all.
    Kevin

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I dont think you count the day you set them if i we're you i'd put them on lock down if you handle them while they're getting ready to hatch you risk doing damage to them. If they've pipped into the air sac they should be with you in the next few days [​IMG]
    Hope all goes well [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Debbi

Debbi Crowing

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    For an example, if you set the eggs at noon on Monday, the first full 24 hour day would be noon on Tuesday. So 24 hours after they are set is day one. Don't know about quail, but I've just had two chicks hatched tonight, and the first one took 17 hours from first pip to hatch. It's a process, good luck!

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I count the next day as 1. For example: Set on Tuesday June 15, Wed June 16 would be day 1.
    If set on Tuesday June 15, then hatch day would be 16 days from then on Thursday July 1.

Did you type the wrong setting date in your post? If you set on Tues. June 8, then they should have hatched on June 24. (16 days)

Hope this helps.
    Jean

5. thecityman

thecityman Chirping

Jun 14, 2010
    Orlinda, TN
    I'm an idiot....I set the eggs on noon tuesday, June 15...so thanks for that! Thanks for all the tips and info. And I know the comment on lockdown is correct, I guess I just needed someone to remind me I HAVE GOT to just leave them alone now! I've only candled once every 24 hrs and have made sure to put them back in same position...but still, I know I need to stop touching them and keep the incubator invironment (humidity, temp, etc) stable. THe explanations of day calculations helped me a lot...not only makes sense but also eases my mind that they arent as late as I thought...in fact today should be pretty much on time. thanks! I love BYC!
    Kevin

6. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. 16 x 24hr periods starting Noon June 8 = June 24

(looked at the calendar, but also 8+16=24)

I don't know doodly about quail, but if they're still percolating then at noon is day 23, a full week past their due date. Again, I know nothing of this, but if they haven't hatched by now I don't think they will. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  8. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Just looked it up courtnix incubation period is 16-17 days so if its gone past 20 probably not going to happen [​IMG]

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Songster

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    My quail never hatch before 18 days on the spot! if you set on June the 15th they have 3 days left to hatch so should be with you by the 3rd of July or there abouts now is the crucial time and they are getting in the hatching position so no more touching or opening the bator! [​IMG]

10. thecityman

thecityman Chirping

Jun 14, 2010
    Orlinda, TN
    once again, thank-you everyone for your information. Pinapple, I especially appreciate your obvious empathy with my situation, but I think you missed my correction post which said I had actually set the eggs on the 15th, so they aren't a week late.....IN FACT.....

BABY ONE IS HERE!!!!! I'm soooo thrilled. Its the cutest, TINIEST little guy I've ever seen. I'm 39 yrs old but for the last 24 hours I've been like a little kid...no, a little kid on X-mas morning. IT is just great. I actually hatched a few turkey eggs 3 weeks ago, but the situation was different....this time I ordered the eggs in the mail, planned things out, and while my hatch rate looks like its going to be very poor (ordered 8, already know for certain 5 are bad) BUT ONE IS ENOUGH TO MAKE IT ALL WORTH IT!!!! I think you all get it, right? [​IMG]

again, thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll be back for more help/info as they mature..... meanwhile, one simple Q: Can bobwhite and coturnix quail breed and produce fertile eggs? (I'm pretty sure its NO, but want to be sure) Thanks all.
    kevin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: