10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
Winterbourne
Hi all you chciken lovers

Asking for more advice just hatch 6 eggs (
big_smile.png
yeah!!) one I had to kill (
sad.png
boo) as was not formed properly. So now have 5.

One is not walking proberly has been hatch for approx 6 hours all fluffed up but is walking on the joint of its legs - will it right itself or do I need to do the deed or is there another solustion?

I don't want a sick chcik but I'm a bit of a softy and would rather it lives than dies has anyone any ideas??

I think its a White Sussex which would replace the one I recently lost

Thanks to all

Awww, sorry to hear about your chicks!

I had one hatch early this morning; when I first looked at it, it wasn't walking properly either. Now, several hours later it's doing much better after getting a chance to rest up.

Earlier this year I bought 30 Cornish X from a hatchery. A couple had such severely curled toes they'd walk on their joints. How do the feet/toes look on your chick?

Chicks are such little miracles of fluff, I'm not too surprised when something occasionally isn't quite right with them.

If it is doing fine otherwise, I'd give it some more time - it may just need to strengthen its legs a bit.

If it still cannot walk properly after 3 days, then I'd consider "doing the deed".

meri

Ok woke up this morning still the same is rubbing its knees on the ground - its feet look fine it seem to be the legs

The other chicks are already picking on it and trying to peck at its feet I guess its toes look like mealworms

I will happly splint its legs if that what it takes - can anyone tell me how to do this

Thanks

I would give it a bit more time.

Occasionally when I have a "special needs" chick, I take a 6" X 12" piece of hardware cloth, bend it in an arc and tape it in the corner of the brooder (being sure it gets plenty of warmth). That way the chick can see and be seen by the others but can't get picked on .

Put a piece of rubberized shelf liner in the bottom of the brooder for a couple of days. I had a chick last week that I thought was going to have spraddle legs. I usually use paper towels and they do fine, but this chick needed more so I put the shelf liner down and within 24 hours it was walking normally.

Do a search for a thread on "spraddle legs" and you will find instructions for taping a tiny piece of cardboard to the chicks feet to help him stand upright.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
smile.png

Thank you so much will have a go - have been thinking about killing the poor thing as the other chciks are now beating it up a bit. I've already put it on a tea towel since about 10ish this morn now 9pm still no good.

I've tried to but bandade round its legs but it was no good as the poor thing almost ended up stuck to itself and I had to cut it free. It also did not seem to strainghted its leg at all. But I guess is hard to do by yourself or I found it hard!! Wriggle chick and bandade don't really go together do they!!!

You are very kind and I will tell you what happens I will give it 2 more day - but am slowly getting attached to the little might which means killing it is V.hard

Yeah...the bandaid trick didn't work for me either. If it's really bad, I hate to say it but it probably won't get better.

I've had 2 or 3 chicks that I eventually had to euthanize because after 10 days they were worse...not better.

Back
Top Bottom