Do I dump it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    So, first week of classes is over. I am registered for a first year psychology course that is being delivered online.

I went to the bookstore to get my textbook on Thursday only to be told that the textbook for my class was the 2nd editon and the bookstore only has the new 3rd edition in stock.

SO, I sent an email to my instructor asking him if I really must have the 2nd edition, or would the 3rd edition be okay. Bear in mind, I am working full time, taking an 80% courseload and I just don't have the extra time to wander around the university bulletin boards looking for someone who is selling the textbook I need.

It is now Sunday (and the deadline for dropping courses without losing ALL my tuition - I would get 70% back) and I haven't heard anything from my instructor.

I had sent him an email a few weeks ago and didn't hear back until this past Tuesday.

My inclination is to dump the class (I still qualify as a full-time student with a 60% courseload) and have the extra time to devote to my other classes where I have very approachable instructors.

Thoughts?

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Dump it, the teacher sounds like one my bf had for an online class.... he was never around, basically did nothing all semester , never answered anyone's questions until right before the final.. by then many had done assignments wrong, etc. If this teacher's response is already bad, you may be frustrated all semester.

Good luck!

Nancy

3. Crusty McPottydoodle

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Poof, gone.

Thanks Nancy. I just needed a voice of reason.

I would have discussed with Feller, but he was on a deadline for Friday with his PhD thesis (didn't come to bed until almost 2am), and then he left at 6:30am yesterday to climb mountains and won't be home until late tomorrow night, so I didn't get an opportunity to talk to him.

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Teachers work for students. When they don't respond, they don't understand their job.

You made a wise decision.

Enjoy the 60%!

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I think you did the right thing, but for future, check out:

half.com
    ebay.com
    amazon.com
    facebook-marketplace
    craigslist.com

I can't TELL you how much I have saved in fees thanks to half.com and ebay!

6. Crusty McPottydoodle

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Quote:I used to work in post secondary and I used to get SO frustrated with the faculty in my department who just didn't get it.

I got in trouble for being late to (yet another unnecessary) departmental meeting because I had been helping a student and just couldn't/wouldn't boot him out of the office and tell him to come back at MY convenience.

They didn't like it when I reminded them that without the students we wouldn't have jobs.

7. Danceswithchicks

Danceswithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:NEVER go on craiglist.com go on .org

8. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    For my teacher colleagues, I'm not saying there are no bounds to helping students. We do set limits.

I work in a private school, and parent/student satisfaction affects my job more immediately than in public schools.

When I went to college, a friend's dad told me to always remember that my professors work for me. It made me far less timid in seeking help and clarification. It also made my pen more savage when course evaluation time came.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK

Um, excuse me but why? They are the same exact site?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL

Um, excuse me but why? They are the same exact site?

Craigslist is a great site. The only bad thing is that there is a lot of fraud on craigslist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by