Do I even need a light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dinos_rock, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have two chicks that are about 5-7 weeks old and I keep them in the garage. I didn't put any light out there because it was warm enough. But I might get some day old chicks soon. Do they need a light or are they ok in the garage?[​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your day old chicks are going to need a light on them til they feather out....they can get chilled and die....

3. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    If the day old chicks are in the cage with the other older chicks will they be ok if they snuggle up together?[​IMG] I live in Arizona so even in the winter, the garage is very warm. And if the garage is a little chilly I would bring them in the house. I will put up a light, but I just have a regular light, it isn't red. Oh, and how old until they feather out?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

About 6 weeks you can take the light away, a regular 40 watt bulb will work. Just make sure the temps start out at 90 deg and lower from there.

It is also NOT a good idea to put day old chicks in with the 5-7 week old ones. They will get stepped on, woken up, and easily killed because they are small and weak as day olds. The 5-7 weekers are about age to go outside in a coop if your temps are not too low.

5. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Well, the 5-7 week old chicks are bantam. I don't know if this changes anything, but I definetly won't keep them together if the day old could be hurt. I didn't even think about that.[​IMG]

Since the 5-7 week old chicks are really little (Bantam), I keep them inside at night. I'd rather be safe than sorry....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by