do I feed medicated or not have I need your input?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crzychicken, Mar 24, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Hi Do I feed chicks that my broody hen hatched medicated feed or not I have both not sure what to do need some input from others.

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:You'll get responses for both to feed and not to feed. Maybe some will post their opinions and you can decide for yourself. Do the search and a lot of info will show up. [​IMG]

3. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    do I seach feed ??

4. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Try typing in 'medicated feed'

5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Be sure to use the search on this forum though.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I never have, but i've not fed med feed in 3 yrs. when I did have med feed I didn't feed it to mama and the chicks because they were let out to scratch.

7. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    It is not really a matter of opinion on this question. I never fed medicated starter when my broodies hatch and raise chicks; there is no need to do so (a Poultry Science professor also told me there is no reason if they are hen-raised outside).

From the egg, the chicks will have some natural immunity and will acquire the immunity from running around on the ground. The medicated feed is for brooder raised chicks and I haven't even used it on them the last couple of years.

The Broodies' chicks are raised outside in the run with all the adults. Those are always the healthiest chicks too. I've seen mother hen taking them under the roosts on day one and scratching through the old poop & litter for bugs & grub. It gave me concern the first time but nothing happened. No illness & none died. No cocci.

8. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Make perfect sense if they were wild there be no medicated food as for you flock I bet you end up with hardy chickens
    thank for that . That was what I was thinking but unsure. I know everyone has a opinion on it but yours was the one I was looking for thanks for that support you made me feel better about not given medicated feed to them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/12344_img_4959_chick_1.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by