Do I fence entire coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jaj121159, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jaj121159

jaj121159 Songster

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    foundation or just front which will be the north wall of the run? Would you suggest using hardware cloth or just put cement blocks down as a foundation? Here's a pic so you can see what I am talking about.
    [​IMG]

and a further back shot
    [​IMG]

As you can see I am retrofitting an old shed to be the Coop. Holes, missing siding and window trim will be replaced. I am also removing one section of siding in the front and back and replacing with summer ventilation strips. I am adding windows which will open on both ends and screened vents above the windows. What appears as a "pop" type door in "original equipment" on t his shed. I will be putting in a slightly larger pop door in the same location. I am still having an internal debate on whether or not to put storage inside the coop (old hog building behind is storage, brooding and broiler pen area now).

2. corancher

corancher Songster

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Looks like it would be a very nice coop. My 2 cents is just fence your run area.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it were me I'd just close in the S side of coop that will be the N side of the run. Reason being, rats etc etc will take up residence under the building even if you put hardwarecloth down, and leaving it open will leave at least *some* more opportunity for their predators to get in there too [​IMG] (The opposite of what I'd usually suggest, but I think it makes sense in this situation, since the building is quite low to the ground and is preexisting)

However I would be inclined to see how much I could do to REALLY digproof that side, whatever you can do without undermining the ground the building is sitting on. Reason being, see previous paragraph [​IMG]

That's a nice old shed. Cut some big vents on the S side there, atop the walls where they'll be semi-protected by the roof overhang; you can have hinged panels on the outside if you want, to a) allow you to adjust how open they are in the winter, and b) keep some summer storm rain out. I know that a number of older coops are severely underventilated (as this one is) but that is just ASKING for frostbite, especially where you live. You will need those vents, high atop the S wall, to be open in wintertime, really really. (Unless you only have about 5 birds in that whole shed and you remove their droppings daily)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. tjweaver84

tjweaver84 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Winterville, NC
    I would fence just the run area and put hardware cloth around the bottom all the way around as well as a hardware cloth apron around the whole building to try and prevent critters from getting underneath the building

5. SandyK

SandyK Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Oh look at all that beautiful corn!! This is going to be a wonderful coop for your girls.

6. jaj121159

jaj121159 Songster

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Any other opinions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by