Do I FINALLY have a broody BO?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TigerLilly, Oct 10, 2011.

1. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Lucy has been in the nest for at least an hour now. I went out earlier to check for eggs & she was in there face-first, with her fuzzy butt sticking out. It 'looked' as though she was getting ready to push an egg out, so I sat there & patiently waited. I didn't make a sound other than putting feed in the pan & even then she didn't budge. After a couple more minutes, she turns around in the nest & starts picking hay & shavings off the ground, putting them in the nest, even though there's stuff in there already.
    Has my wish finally come true? Do I have a broody in the coop?!
    Another question--I just separated my flock according to breed a couple of days ago--previously my BO's were in with my EE roo while my BO roo free ranged. So if my BO's are fertile (both roo's having been doing their job), how do I know which one is going to be a proud papa of the first few (?) eggs that are laid?
    Please note that I can NOT deal with being on the Maury show waiting to hear "Romeo (EE), you are (not) the father!" I'm hoping Sully (BO) is, since that is the biggest reason I separated them!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Can you tell I'm an emotional mess? [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would venture to say that it's a bit early to tell. My BO regularly takes a long time to lay, sometimes taking up to two hours.

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I would sadly agree - might be too soon to tell - if in a couple days she is in there all the time THEN you got it!

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My hens have been known to lay in the nest for hours. I have never had a broody. Good luck!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Can you tell I'm an emotional mess? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, I guess you all were right--all that time in the nest & she didn't even lay an egg!
    But for the emotional rollercoaster I was on, it was a happy moment...

Can anyone answer the other question I had?
    "Another question--I just separated my flock according to breed a couple of days ago--previously my BO's were in with my EE roo while my BO roo free ranged. So if my BO's are fertile (both roo's having been doing their job), how do I know which one is going to be a proud papa of the first few (?) eggs that are laid?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by