1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I FINALLY have a broody?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Feb 17, 2012.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So in my rouen pen, I have a trio of rouens (1 drake, 2 hens) the drake and 1 of the hens are almost a year old, the other hen is 6 months old. I've been getting one egg a day from that pen for 2 days now. I'm not really sure who is laying it, but I think its the young one. She laid it underneath the chicken boxes the first day, and the second day in the middle of the coop, but she buried it this time. So when I went in the gather the chicken eggs, I steped on the duck egg, and it broke. Then the chickens ate the egg. The young hen came in, and was searching in the straw like she was worried, then totally freaked out and started running out of the coop quacking real loud. Was she worried that her egg ran away? Is she making a nest? And if she is broody, can I take away her eggs, and give her another ducks eggs? Will she be ok with the rooster and drake around her babies? I'm not prepared for broody hens! It isnt spring! Help!

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Your Hen won't be broody until she has a full nest laid. When broody they'll insist on staying on the nest, will fluff up their feathers and make a racket when you approach them and you'll notice her only coming out to eat/drink once a day or even once every couple of days.

I doubt she's broody after laying two eggs.

Michelle

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Well, maybe she is waiting to have a nest before she goes broody. This is what my other hen did (the other rouen) she laid 6 eggs, and tried to sit on them, but I wouldnt let her. It was to cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by