do i get rid of them or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Straubby, May 19, 2010.

1. Straubby

Straubby Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    new hampshire,ohio
    hello everyone and thank you all for welcoming me so warmly since i joined. i have 5 Leghorn chickens that i bought as 1 - 2 yr old laying hens 3 weeks ago and i havent gotten a single egg yet. I have followed the threads on this subject and it seems most people have eggs after about 2 weeks max. I have 3 other hens that are just under a year and am consistently getting 2 eggs a day from them(one is molting).I am afraid that i was taken when i bought these 5 girls as i was just getting started and these were my first adult birds. i think they may be older than i was told and might be past their prime. i started getting chickens for eggs and dont really want to feed without getting something in return,but i like these girls and want to give them a fair chance.i havent looked at the vent because i truly am not sure what to look for. they just kind of look and act old, like tougher,more wrinkly legs and combs that are kind of dry and scaly looking also they seem not to see very well. when they eat they seem to miss their target often and have to try a few times to get what they're after.dont really want to get rid of the girls but need eggs or they'll have to go. thought maybe all my new friends on BYC may be able to help me out ty in advance.

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Hmmm yes they may be "retired" hen's.Are you offering layer ration?A little Flax seed or a handful of dry cat food ocassionaly,oyster shell and dried eggshells are good healthy treats and can improve feathers and skin oil's.Meal worms are great if they cant naturaly free range for bug's and grub's.Even some of my younger girls would go a while without laying.Younger hens are mostly active and have good eye sight pending no diseases etc.I hope if you find you got retired hen's you can find them home's for someone that just want's a few pet chicken's.One of my bantam duckwing hen's( she was 5) got really slow but She was one of my first and favorite lil hen's and she lived a good life.Sadly We lost her to a footless hawk that couldnt hunt in her own coop [​IMG] Hope you get some egg's soon or can place your girl's in a loving home.

3. Straubby

Straubby Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    new hampshire,ohio
    feeding layer mash with oyster shell in it and i'll just go ahead and admit it i'm chicken crazy they are getting sunflower seeds,peanuts,strawberries,oats,grapes,lettuce,wax worms,carrots,and even a few minnows.LOL i dont know if there is anything else they need but they sure love what they're getting. If anyone in or near Ohio would like some pets i dont really want to kill them but i am unemployed with 5 kids and cant afford to ship them. it would be nice to get a couple bucks for them to help with replacement costs but i understand they arent worth much and would like to give them a nice home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by