Do I have 2 females or is my drake sitting on eggs??? What!!?

Pics

Gokutheduck

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
Hi guys,
I've been a lurker on this website ever since I got my ducklings and today I decided to sign up and make a thread as I need clarification!
So Swan(white) and Oreo (black and white) are about 9 months old.
I am still confused whether The white one is a male or female. I know for sure Orea is a Sheila as I've seen her drop eggs but this white Swan is playing with me.
Just the other day he was sitting on 8 eggs! There were total of 10 eggs today (had to throw one out as it was a soft shell) and I finding it hard to believe that Oreo laid 10 eggs in such a short amount of time without us knowing. (Yes! I just found out yesterday that there were 9 eggs in the nest!)
But the thing that boogles my mind is the soft shell egg. That wasn't laid in the nest, rather laid in the outsidish area of the Coop... Could that be of the same duck that has laid 9 eggs all together, or are they both laying eggs and the soft shell was just one of the ducks first egg.
I will also inform you that Oreo had laid eggs before, around 6 months ago and Swan didn't do anything. I was very sure he was a male as he had that crown blob on his beak. But then this week, everything changed.
Also, Orea chirps alot but Swan doesn't.. UNTIL LAST NIGHT!
I have attached plenty of pics for you guys to judge and tell me. THANKS!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211214-101120_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-101120_Gallery.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20211214-101050_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-101050_Gallery.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211214_095820.jpg
    20211214_095820.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211214_095803.jpg
    20211214_095803.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi guys,
I've been a lurker on this website ever since I got my ducklings and today I decided to sign up and make a thread as I need clarification!
So Swan(white) and Oreo (black and white) are about 9 months old.
I am still confused whether The white one is a male or female. I know for sure Orea is a Sheila as I've seen her drop eggs but this white Swan is playing with me.
Just the other day he was sitting on 8 eggs! There were total of 10 eggs today (had to throw one out as it was a soft shell) and I finding it hard to believe that Oreo laid 10 eggs in such a short amount of time without us knowing. (Yes! I just found out yesterday that there were 9 eggs in the nest!)
But the thing that boogles my mind is the soft shell egg. That wasn't laid in the nest, rather laid in the outsidish area of the Coop... Could that be of the same duck that has laid 9 eggs all together, or are they both laying eggs and the soft shell was just one of the ducks first egg.
I will also inform you that Oreo had laid eggs before, around 6 months ago and Swan didn't do anything. I was very sure he was a male as he had that crown blob on his beak. But then this week, everything changed.
Also, Orea chirps alot but Swan doesn't.. UNTIL LAST NIGHT!
I have attached plenty of pics for you guys to judge and tell me. THANKS!!
In terms of looks they both look feminine to me and they can go broody even if no drake is present the eggs just wont hatch

In terms of looks they both look feminine to me and they can go broody even if no drake is present the eggs just wont hatch
and also to add to what I just said females will mount each other im not extremely familiar with muscovies but males of normal duck breeds will have one curled tail feather

Trust me only in that pic, Swan looks feminine. But in comparison, Swan looks very... Different. But I just went out and lmao Swans on the eggs again and chirping!

Attachments

• 20211214_102538.jpg
    20211214_102538.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom