Do I have 2 RIR roos? + What breed/sex are my 2 rescue chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emilyloesel, Nov 1, 2014.

1. emilyloesel

emilyloesel New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Acworth, Georgia
    I got my first batch of chicks 18 weeks ago. A couple weeks ago a black bear tore through 2 layers of chicken wire and took what I believe to be the only hen I had. I was left with 2 full grown Rhode Island Red bantams. I believe they're both roosters. Their combs are not maxed out like you see in photos (see my user image), but they both have full, green-black tail feathers. They aren't crowing at all, and are very docile and sweet. Thoughts?

Also, a friend of mine who does dog rescue happened upon a few chickens running around in Atlanta traffic. Unequipped to care for them, she reached out to me. Of course, I took them in (ironically, we met up at a Chick-fil-a). They're both white and larger than my RIRs. One is stark white with black markings on his neck, tail, and wing tips (first photo). Due to his occasional puffed neck- I'm sure he's a rooster. The other is more of a solid cream color (closest in 2nd photo). I'm curious as to what breed they are. They don't appear to be the same breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please tell me- do I have one single hen here!?!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    They appear to be hens. The one closest to the camera in the last pic might be rooster. I'm not sure on breed. Maybe mixes?

3. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    The 2 white chickens look like mixed breeds. The one closest to the camera in the second photo is a rooster. The other might be a hen. Do you have any photos of the RIRs?

4. emilyloesel

emilyloesel New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Acworth, Georgia
    Thanks for the input!

I was thinking the cream colored (closest) one in the last pic is a hen because she's really docile and shy. Seems to let the RIRs push her around a little.

5. StarMeKritten

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    It looks like that one has curved tail feathers and pointy saddle feathers, which would indicate male. I can't be certain of that from the photo though. It's tricky to capture that sort of detail on a white/ cream bird though. Take a look at the feathers on the back above the tail. If they are thin and pointy, it's a male. If they are rounded, it's female.

6. emilyloesel

emilyloesel New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Acworth, Georgia
    Here's a pic of all of them together. Hope this is somewhat helpful It's pretty chilly/windy today, so they're quite fluffed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. emilyloesel

emilyloesel New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Acworth, Georgia
    Thanks! Here's one more of my 2 hobo chickens. Not sure if this one may be more detailed.

[​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The one closest to the front in the last photo looks like a rooster to me.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  9. StarMeKritten

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Well, the good news is that I'm pretty sure the white and black one is female. Your RIR both look like males though.

10. StarMeKritten

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    The cream one is a rooster too.. The last photo is a lot better. It looks like he has extra toes? Between that and the beard, I would guess he is possibly a faverolles mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by