Do I have 5 roo's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken stalker, Aug 31, 2008.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Wow how addicting are chickens! I started out with three adults and hatched out 5 chicks in July. And now I have my eye on several other breeds. Well anyway, out of the 5 chicks I hatched out, 2 are definate roosters. They spar at least once a day. The other three are still unknown. I think I've read every post here regarding sexing chickens and looked at countless pictures but I'm still not sure. It's kind of like a game show, it's easy to play at home but when your in the hot seat, its a different story [​IMG]. The breed is Amercauna/EE mix of somesort. They are 6 weeks old. I have see the others "stand their ground" when the roo's charge them but no sparring action. I hope that doesn't mean they are alll roo's.
    4 out of 5
    [​IMG]

all 5 chicks
    [​IMG]

The surrogate mother is the black hen and the two roos are the black chick and the brown one standing on the right in the second photo.
    So what do you think? I have some side photos if you think that would help.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC. First off, behavior is not a good indicator of sex. Hens have to fight for their place in the pecking order too. [​IMG]
    In your first photo, The one on the far left is either a mature hen or a young roo, same goes for the one on the far right. The one next to the one on the right is a possible roo.
    In the second pic, the one on the right that is standing tall with his head turned to the side is a roo (This is the same chick that's a possible from pic one?)
    Edited because I have a hard time expressing myself when overly tired. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    [​IMG]

I agree, you can't tell what sex they by their behavior. From the 1st picture it looks like you might have 3 roosters.

4. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    them 2 black ones the one with that red comb is a roo the other black one is a hen

5. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks for the welcome. The one in the middle is by far the smallest of the bunch but its comb is starting to get red also.
    Here are some additional photo's I took this afternoon though they were a little less cooperative. These are the three in question.
    [​IMG]

Close up of #1
    [​IMG]
    #1 again
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]
    #2 again
    [​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG]
    #3 when it was 4weeks old
    [​IMG]

6. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    I think the 3 ?s are all hens.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Those 3 look like pullets to me too. I only see one roo in the babies..the one you already have pegged.

Jody

8. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    They look like hens to me also. [​IMG]

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I agree

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, all pullets except for the little guy we already saw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by