Do i have a banty EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Leah and peeps, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

My chicks are 3 weeks and im not sure but i may or may not have a banty EE in there? S/he has feathered out just like all the other ones, maybe even a little more, but she is pretty small compared to the other ee's. When she was itsy bitsy day old s/he was the same size as the others but now shes smaller. That is what keeps me wondering.. Is s/he just a runt? Its weird! Ill post pics later for comparison. What do ya'll think? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Gotta have pics. Hurry up! I'm up past my bedtime!

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    EEs are mutts... I supose anything is possible [​IMG]

4. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    We have a chick that is a runt. We bought 2 other chicks which were born on the same day, and were the same size at 2 days old. By week 4, they were 3x her size and she still had hardly any feathers! We went out of town for 4 days, and she feathered out almost completely in that time! Now, at 7 weeks she is completely feathered out, but still only about 1/2 size of the others. Also, her feet look like they are swollen. The feed store said that sometimes there's just a fluke and a chicken will be a dwarf, and that is how they originally started bantys, by breeding the dwarfs. They also said it is possible that she will just go through a growth spurt and grow overnight (she did do that with the feathering). So we'll see. I've seen alot of other posts of this happening when chicks go through an illness, but we've had her since 2 days old and she was never sick - she has always been very active - one of the most feisty and bold of the group! Not sure what is going on with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by