Do I have a Black Australorp Roo? Barnevelder pics added

srolle1lsu

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Cottonwood Heights, Ut
This is a 7 week old australorp chick that has been slower to feather out than my others. it's comb is larger redder than my other chicks but it is my only australorp. the rest have smaller combs to begin with.

sorry about the pic quality. if needed i can try to take some better pics tomorrow.

photo4-2.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

so far, the hackle feathers look rounded but again they're not all in. i also haven't seen much in the way of spur development that differs from any of my other hens. he/she appears to be lower in the pecking order but also younger than all but 1 other chick.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi, I'm from Utah..Spanish Fork. I've had Australorps..have one now..this little one is leaning towards a roo to me. The hens do have combs and wattles, but this one is looking pretty pink right there...could be the picture?
They are great birds..even as roosters. Just saw one yesterday..so laid back and easy going. Going after his girls, but doesn't bother the folks that go in the pen.

That is definitely a rooster. The comb and wattles are much to big and red to be a female Australorp at that age. He sure is a cutie though.
smile.png

Thanks to all for the help.

Here are some photos of the australorp in better light. i'm also adding in a couple of a younger barnevelder that i think may also be a roo.

photo10.jpg

photo6-2.jpg

photo7-2.jpg

5-7? week old barnevelder. this was one of the two smaller birds out of a hatch i was told was all the same age. at the time it had the smallest comb of the bunch and was said to be 4wks. it has been 3 weeks since then and now looks like this:
Image2-1.jpg

photo8-1.jpg

Last edited:
does anybody think they could be hens? I'm a city dweller and cannot have roos. also, after a roo starts to crow, how long do you have before a 7 week old can get loud enough for the neighbors to hear?

my chicken math has exceeded the allowable amount for my area. i'd hate to get busted because a neighbor complains about crowing.

Back
Top Bottom