do i have a broodie?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pekinduck<3er, Jun 6, 2011.

1. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

hey i think i might have a broody beacuase my cayuga female has mad a nest with 4 eggs in it and today she got out of the coop and got a quick swim little bit of groomin and visited me and then went in the coop to sit on her eggs? but not aggressive?

2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    It does sound like you have a broody. Congrats! Not all ducks will get aggresive, especially if they trust you. But since she just started setting it might just be she isnt aggresive yet. The longer she sits the more she might get aggresive. [​IMG]

3. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

thnx when will she pull out her breast feathers? and when will she stop laying the eggs and sit?

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    My broody that I had last year pulled out her breast feathers gradually. I hardly even noticed at first, and she will stop laying when she feels like she has enough eggs to sit on. My OEGB stopped at around 10 when my BO stopped at 25. LOL! (Not all her eggs) Everyone contributed to the nest. Anyway, when she sits tight and doesnt move off her eggs except for maybe once or twice a week to eat/ drink/ poo, then you will know she is 100% broody! [​IMG]

ETS: I took the referense from my chickens who went broody last year. My scovie duck who is wanting to go broody is still collecting eggs to sit on so is not 100% broody yet, she has 8 in her nest now. But she hasnt started pulling out her breast feathers yet, but is sitting on them most all day and night. She does come off a little during the day, longer than I like but we have been having 90-100 degree days this week so it wont hurt them much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by