Do I have a bully for a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dolphinlvr4, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I have 3 very docile golen buffs that are almost 4 mos old. I also have 2 bared rocks and 1 RIR that are about 5 weeks. So I decided to do "play dates" for an hr or so each day to get the big girls used to the chicks. Each time my one hen, who thinks she's a dog- very funny n jumps in ur lap. She consistently chases n slightly pecks my lil RIR. She's never really mean but seems to just zero in on her. The RIR is definatly low ranking even w the other chicks. They are about 1/3 smaller so I don't dare leave them unsupervised but I'd like to integrate this flock as I don't have another coop. If I do this for an hr a day will the hens eventually not care or do I have to wait til the chicks are almost the same size? Also, do hens instinctively cull the weakest one?? I need my spare room back lol. Someone helllllp. ;-)

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They are working on the pecking order, and the RIR looks to be the one who will end up on the bottom. Try fencing off a part of the run to allow them face time without physically interacting. You could leave them in it that all day for a while. That will allow them more face time to get to know each other. If you can partition the coop as well that would be to the good. If you can find a large dog crate you could use that as a temporary coop for the younger ones at night.

3. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Ok thank you - I was hoping to avoid that but it looks like I'm not gonna be able. :-/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by