1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I have a drake or just goofy ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewfieMom, Oct 24, 2013.

1. NewfieMom

NewfieMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    I got these 5 month old Khaki Campbells a week ago and absolutely LOVE them. I've been getting 3 eggs every morning. They all four look just alike and none of them have a curled tail so they all looked like females to me. But when they get in their pool one of them get's on the other's back and bites it's neck. Are they mating or just being silly?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure. The coloring looks like that of a female Khaki Campbell. I don't have much experience with ducks, but they may be too young to have curled tail feathers yet. Does the possible male quack? You can sex ducks by noise. Females quack, but males only make raspy, quieter noises.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I heard duck quacks in the video. My KC's color pattern is a little different but I'm going to guess they're females. The "hop on top," as our Esteemed Amiga calls it, is likely a dominance game, even with that creepy wiggling. I've seen my females do that too. ... Seems like my drakes were all curly and obviously raspy drakes by that age. They're very cute.

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    From my experience with the breed, you do not have pure khaki campbells.
    The coloring is wrong and the bodies are a bit too large. I would say they are some sort of cross, possibly with a buff.

And it looks like the one outside of the pool is a drake. But females will mount other females.

Do they all have the same quack? Females are loud, males are quiet and more raspy.

Just because the curly feather isnt there doesn't mean its a female. They lose it when they molt (though it doesn't look like they are molting). Some will lose it simply from daily play and such too. So it's possible you do have a male who simply lost his curl feather

5. NewfieMom

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    Well my son and I tried to catch them and they all protested with a loud "MACK MACK MACK!!" So they all look the same and sound the same. I also realized a little while ago that I had another video of the "hop on top" game. After close review it's a different duck doing the mounting! So maybe it's a dominance thing.or they're just bored. Guess time will tell. At least I know 3 are for sure female.
    As far as them being "pure" KC's. I'm not concerned about pure breeds. Just wanted some Khaki Campbells and these guys.. or girls.. or whatever.. are close enough for me.
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are gorgeous ducks, now stand where you can observe this mounting in the pool, believe me when I tell you if you have a drake you'll not be able to miss the penis, it's long and shaped like a cork screw. And in the video it sounded like the one on top made contact listening to the sound coming out of the one underneath. Do they do this on dry ground too? sometimes it's better to see the mister parts better. [​IMG]

7. NewfieMom

Aug 29, 2013
    Beautiful East Texas
    Just an update. All 4 are girls. They each lay me an egg everyday now! :) They still act up a little when I clean out their kiddie pool. Guess they're just playing. :)

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] well congratulations

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Awww...so no baby mack macks. Lol. I love how you described that.
    Congrats on your eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by