do I have a faulty Zareba® 5 Mile Battery Operated Solid State Charger

Pics

Zwillingsmama

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
SF Bay Area
Today I thought I finish my electric fence around my run, but I can't get enough "juice" to the wire.
I have a solar charged 12v battery that is fully charged and the Zareba 5 mile charger. I ran only 250 ft wire, there is nothing but the insulators touching these wires, ground is 8ft away from charger in wet ground. I have a voltmeter, so I can see how "hot" the wire is. It does not get above 2V and it should be a minimum of 2000V even right at the charger it stays in the 2V range. I can touch and hold the wire - its unpleasant but absolutely doable. Am I doing anything totally wrong or is my charger faulty? I am at a loss.

Same here. I had a faulty light on my zareba charger and they sent me a whole new kit--the whole thing. Great customer service.

Voltage wise, where your at should be good for raccoons. Mine is about the same. I tested it on my dogs and it was enough that they did not go back.

I believe the one you got should be like 7000 volts? Of course of you paid for 7000 you want 7000.

When mine was not working right I took it apart and started over, that helped.

Here is a voltage chart for predators

https://www.stafix.com/en-us/helpful-information/animal-voltage-requirements

How much ground rod do you have down? I had the same problem once and had to add another ground rod. I have the 50 mile one, it will hurt you.

I have 2 ground rods, but somehow I don't think ground is the problem as the output seems to be only 2v . If I measure right next to the ground rod it's also only 2V.

Back
Top Bottom