Do I have a male and a female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shahann, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    I purchased these straight run Silkie Bantams at TSC on 3/22. They were on sale for $1.99 because they were more than a week old. That makes them about three months (90 days) old or close to it. I haven't heard any crowing yet, but I think one is a male and one is a female. Can you help me determine gender?

Suspect #1 (I think is a hen). It has short feathers on the top of her head, a small comb, and small waddles.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Suspect #2 (I think is a roo). It has a long feathers on its head, a larger comb, and larger waddles.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Am I right to think I have a hen and a roo?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm fairly certain that number 2 is a roo number 1 is still a little hard to tell

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Second bird is definitely a cockerel. I'm also leaning toward the first being a cockerel, but I'm not positive. That's a lot of wattles for a 3 month old silkie pullet.....I'll be looking to see what others say....[​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    No. 2 has a lot of comb - I figure he is a cockerel. The first one makes me think pullet even though the generally have bigger crests than the males. I've really never noticed wattles on silkie hens before (my friend has had several in the 9 years I have known her. I think it's because your are non bearded. & hatchery bred. Beards cover all that - at least in females.

5. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Both turned out to be roosters. One was eaten by the fox. The other has been relocated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by