Do I have a mutt chicken...Or "what do you call a chick from..."

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shawnm2639, May 12, 2010.

1. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    I know I should have checked this out BEFORE I started letting my girls hatch eggs but....I have a Barr Rock Roo and then 6 BR hens, 3 Delaware hens, 5 English Game hens. The banties just hatched out 10 chicks. Some of them are obviously BR, but 3 are from the Delawares I think. I have never seen the roo with the game hens so I am pretty sure the chicks are all foster chicks. Oh Loardy, I need to seperate my flocks. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Roosters are sneaky testosterone buggers, chances are he's gotten a hold of all the hens. So then yes, you have some "mutts", but I bet they're pretty!

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I know how you feel...I let my White Silkie hatch out 7 of her own eggs (her eggs are obvious, she's our only banty hen), and was extremely surprised when I saw the rainbow of chicks! Some of them even look barred, but I don't have any kind of barred rooster. I need to learn more about genetics, it must be a hidden gene. That poor little Silkie girl has apparently been jumped on by every roo we have, even the big standard sized boys [​IMG]

4. shawnm2639

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    oKAY Dokay...thanks gang...I am not sure what the "odd" chicks will finally look like. I will post a pic when I get home tonight. You know how BR's are black at first and I think my Delewares were yellow (now they are white with barred collars and tails)? Well these little guys look like they have been rolling around the dust bin or fire pit. Sort of sooty with a whitish back ground. [​IMG] Guess they are trully mutts

I sure like my little old english thou not to breed so I am going to lock those girls up!!...Alternate days on the yard! [​IMG] Going to run this place like a prison [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  6. shawnm2639

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    THANKS!! COOL! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by