Do I have a pair? Dominiques...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mom2jedi, Jan 3, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    These were in my MPC rainbow order. There are a total of three doms but these two just happened to be standing right in front of me as I was taking pictures. They are supposed to be all girls but does one of these look boyish? I certainly hope not. Same two chickens in each picture, same positions too, they actually stayed relatively still while I snapped these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Kind of looks like you have a pair but those arent Dominiques, they have a single comb so they are probably Barred rocks or Cuckoo marans. More likely barred rocks.

3. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:I have three Barred Rocks that came in my order as well, the pictures aren't really clear but these two have rose combs. I was hoping for a maran or two but ended up with three BR and three Doms.

4. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I am NO expert but I also have a MPC Dom, and I think yours are both girls, just a little different looking. Aren't they great birds?

5. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Quote:I have three Barred Rocks that came in my order as well, the pictures aren't really clear but these two have rose combs. I was hoping for a maran or two but ended up with three BR and three Doms.

O ok, I couldnt see the combs too clear and thought they were single combs. Woohps sorry [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Those don't have a single comb, poultryhaven. They are definitely not BRs. They do look like pullets, coloring wise, (dark) but the pink comb on the one on the right is suspect. The combs are a bit odd, more pea comb looking than rose comb, but could be just that they aren't great rose combs.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    NOT a roo in the batch! I'll run down and get a pic so you can see...hang on...

8. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA

O ok, I couldnt see the combs too clear and thought they were single combs. Woohps sorry [​IMG]

No worries! I knew the combs came out a little fuzzy, but they were just so interested in the camera I couldn't back up! I was hoping the difference in redness would show up.

9. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Okay: here's a Dom roo that was supposed to be a pullet, hatched November 1st or 2nd, arrived the 4th.

[​IMG]

He's living in the basement because the cold snap that is evil and holding us hostage didn't allow for any acclimation. I keep hoping for a week in the 30s or 40s!! I have 15 birds down there living it up.

10. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I should have mentioned it's a horrible shot b/c it's my phone, and also if you can tell, his coloring is much lighter than the pullets' is: same as with Marans and Rocks, the male has a wider white mark on the feather than black, where the female has more black than white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by