Do I have a pair here? EE, 8+ weeks old..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Sep 7, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'll be doing a massive rehoming in about two weeks when my last hatch is done, trying to weed out the roos now as early as I can. These two EE's are sexed as pullets from MPC and looked different as chicks. One was 'chipmunk' in color and the other was darker and floofier.

They suddenly switched gears and feathered in almost exactly alike except for one thing - the tail. One has an upright tail and one has a more droopy tail. I'm thinking I have a pair here, but IF it's so, which one would be the roo? Or both? LOL. I know that EE's are pretty hard to sex and I'll retake pics in a few weeks just in case. Both have pretty small combs with a tiny bit of pink. No one is crowing or showing any roo behaviors, but they are only 8 weeks old and in with rowdy guineas so hard to tell.

Sorry about the pics - I generally take very nice ones but again, these chicks are in with guinea keets and even coming near the fence will put them all in a tizzy making it HARDER to take a pic! [​IMG]

"theo" on left, "cleo" on right:
    [​IMG]

Theo:
    [​IMG]

Cleo:
    [​IMG]

Any guesses? I'd hate to give away a pullet, so I'll check again in a few weeks if I don't hear any crowing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Looks like two pullets to me.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They look just like my EE pullets, in age and comb development. I have an EE roo to compare them to.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Oh great! I hope you are right. [​IMG] I thought they were both pullets until I saw the differences in the 'back end'. I'll keep an eye out for the next few weeks as I don't want to rehome a pullet if I can help it. [​IMG]

5. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

Both girls!

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Theo looks like she has campine in her. The other might as well but not as strong

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I got two EEs from the same hatchery at the same time and they look very much like yours, one with a lot of dark feathers and one without. The one with dark feathers makes smaller green eggs and the lighter one makes larger olive colored eggs.
    The hatcheries just have a lot of mutt mixes. I like the differences in them. You'll have to let me know what your eggs look like.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    They looked different as babies:

Theo:
    [​IMG]

Cleo:
    [​IMG]

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    So Cute. Great job on getting good chick pics.

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I'm going to guess both pullets. But then again, they look almost exactly like two of my easter eggers (also from MPC, possibly from the same hatch date) except that "Tiger" (who looks like your Theo) has a clean face. Just like yours, my lighter one has a smaller tail. I figure it's probably just a difference in genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by