Do i have a roaster?

Eloradelgado

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
I bought what I thought were six females however one started looking drastically different and he acts different as well but I'm not sure if it's a he or she

Attachments

• 20200609_200945.jpg
    20200609_200945.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200609_201018.jpg
    20200609_201018.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 16
Roosters are like people, there are good ones and bad ones. Personally, I love roosters....when they are respectful to me, treat the hens well and aren't overly aggressive to other roosters.

Pros of having one in your flock is that you will always have fertile eggs if you want to hatch, you will always have a guardian looking out for the hens (and willing to die for them) and frankly, I just find them to be eye candy that I never get tired of watching.

Cons are that if not handled right and raised right you stand a greater chance of having a bad attitude bird on your hands. Part of that attitude is genetic, part is what you put into them just like any animal, breeding and handling matters. They crow...and they crow....then they crow some more. They can be rough with the hens until they start to get the hang of things.

I have a LOT of roosters...too many really but I can't seem to talk myself into putting some of them in the freezer so I have a bachelor pen. I have one out of maybe 20 who is frankly a monster with other roosters and he is a little guy who weighs maybe three pounds dripping wet. Doesn't matter to him, big or small, he beats the snot out of them. He injured one rooster so badly that I had to put the poor thing down. He has two buddies that he leaves alone so they keep him company.

Anybody want a rooster named Rambo, let me know. I'll seal him up in a cardboard box, poke some holes in it, toss some scratch feed in it for a snack and ship him to you along with a 20$ bill.. :lau Just joking of course. The snot has been on death row twice and had his last meals but keeps getting a stay of execution. I keep hoping to reform him.

Yes, my name is microchick and I am addicted to roosters.....................................

Roosters are like people, there are good ones and bad ones. Personally, I love roosters....when they are respectful to me, treat the hens well and aren't overly aggressive to other roosters.

Pros of having one in your flock is that you will always have fertile eggs if you want to hatch, you will always have a guardian looking out for the hens (and willing to die for them) and frankly, I just find them to be eye candy that I never get tired of watching.

Cons are that if not handled right and raised right you stand a greater chance of having a bad attitude bird on your hands. Part of that attitude is genetic, part is what you put into them just like any animal, breeding and handling matters. They crow...and they crow....then they crow some more. They can be rough with the hens until they start to get the hang of things.

I have a LOT of roosters...too many really but I can't seem to talk myself into putting some of them in the freezer so I have a bachelor pen. I have one out of maybe 20 who is frankly a monster with other roosters and he is a little guy who weighs maybe three pounds dripping wet. Doesn't matter to him, big or small, he beats the snot out of them. He injured one rooster so badly that I had to put the poor thing down. He has two buddies that he leaves alone so they keep him company.

Anybody want a rooster named Rambo, let me know. I'll seal him up in a cardboard box, poke some holes in it, toss some scratch feed in it for a snack and ship him to you along with a 20$ bill.. :lau Just joking of course. The snot has been on death row twice and had his last meals but keeps getting a stay of execution. I keep hoping to reform him.

Yes, my name is microchick and I am addicted to roosters.....................................
Haha you are hilarious! Thank you for your advice! his name is Bowser and he seems to keep the girls in line he's not as friendly as he used to be but we go outside and we pick him up at least every day whether he likes it or not

Back
Top Bottom