Do I have a Roo? Age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MidtownChickns, Oct 31, 2013.

1. MidtownChickns

MidtownChickns New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Hey Good Chicken People!

My husband and I lost our minds and took the chicken plunge almost 2 weeks ago. We checked out an auction, and purchased a young pair of Barred Rocks early, before a nice couple shared there were multiple sick birds being sold off and to be careful. Needless to say, we will not be attending again, but we did bring our pair of "6 month old pullets" home. Ever since, we've been watching for all things funky-eyed and runny-nosed. Two weeks, no eggs (but not shocked). I'm falling hard for these "girls."
    BUT today I began to question 1). Is one of the pullets a Roo?; and 2). Do you think theyre younger than 6 mos? Pics below. Thank you for any feedback or advice you may have!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    If at 6 months they aren't crowing officially or at least trying, probably not. But tail wise lighter one looks a little boyish.And yes they look a little younger.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You do have a pair--one male and one female. The male is the lighter colored one. I'm thinking they're more like 3 1/2-4 months maybe, that hen looks quite a ways from laying, I wouldn't expect eggs until after Easter. Other than that they're pretty nice looking birds. Careful--chickens are addictive!!!

always be careful of auctions. I used to buy horses at an auction all the time, and I'm still too skeered to buy a bird from one.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 with Donrae

They are a roo and pullet, with the lighter bird (doubling barring) being the male. You can also see the beginning of the curled sickle feathers in his tail.

And they are not 6 months old, closer to 16 weeks to 18 weeks....which is good news.

Hopefully you can have roosters where you are. Once she starts laying, if you want more, you can incubate the eggs and get chicks...unless she goes broody for you and does it for you (not overly likely with a commercial BR).

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X3 with what the others said

6. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    They look a bit younger than 6 months, and the lighter one looks like a rooster.

Luke.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Donrae; you have a pullet and a cockerel.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x4

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by