Do I have a Roo? Age?

MidtownChickns

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 31, 2013
Hey Good Chicken People!

My husband and I lost our minds and took the chicken plunge almost 2 weeks ago. We checked out an auction, and purchased a young pair of Barred Rocks early, before a nice couple shared there were multiple sick birds being sold off and to be careful. Needless to say, we will not be attending again, but we did bring our pair of "6 month old pullets" home. Ever since, we've been watching for all things funky-eyed and runny-nosed. Two weeks, no eggs (but not shocked). I'm falling hard for these "girls."
BUT today I began to question 1). Is one of the pullets a Roo?; and 2). Do you think theyre younger than 6 mos? Pics below. Thank you for any feedback or advice you may have!

welcome-byc.gif

You do have a pair--one male and one female. The male is the lighter colored one. I'm thinking they're more like 3 1/2-4 months maybe, that hen looks quite a ways from laying, I wouldn't expect eggs until after Easter. Other than that they're pretty nice looking birds. Careful--chickens are addictive!!!

always be careful of auctions. I used to buy horses at an auction all the time, and I'm still too skeered to buy a bird from one.

x2 with Donrae

They are a roo and pullet, with the lighter bird (doubling barring) being the male. You can also see the beginning of the curled sickle feathers in his tail.

And they are not 6 months old, closer to 16 weeks to 18 weeks....which is good news.

Hopefully you can have roosters where you are. Once she starts laying, if you want more, you can incubate the eggs and get chicks...unless she goes broody for you and does it for you (not overly likely with a commercial BR).

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom