Do I have a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by misspnme, Aug 7, 2014.

1. misspnme

misspnme Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    Hi! I posted last night and wanted to update with pics. Unfortunately I could only get one decent shot. Chickens are not the most cooperative of models. Anyway, I was given these four 20 week old RIRs from my bro in law. He insists they're all females but one of them has dark green prominent tail feathers (only has one now but did have three) dark green feathers on the neck and is significantly larger than the others. The feet are almost twice the size of the others. But the waddles and crest are small and look female.....? [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The bird in question does appear to be a rooster.

3. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    Yep, rooster. Can you see the pointy saddle feathers? The long tail feathers are sickle feathers.

4. mak2001

mak2001 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    yes it looks like it but you can surely tell about 7/8 months

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Hmm, he does have the scraggly look of a cockerel. However at 20 weeks I would expect to see more saddle feathers and he should be crowing his head off. And as you noted the comb is as small as the pullets. Are you sure that bird is the same age as the others?

6. misspnme

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    Yes, they were all hatched the same day. I'm not sure if they're from the same batch of eggs, but if anything they're at the most a few days apart in age. They have not been well cared for. Which is why I took them from my bro in law, I don't know if a lack of nutrition would stunt the growth of the comb or wattles?

7. misspnme

Oct 25, 2013
    Hawaii
    And from what I've read Roos have very shiny feathers, almost wet looking and this one definitely has that!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree it's a cockerel. Not sure why the comb and wattles aren't more developed, but sex feathers tell the tale. Or, tail [​IMG]

9. mak2001

mak2001 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    We'll mine didn't start crowing until 7 months

10. russnbecky

russnbecky New Egg

Aug 1, 2014
    It looks exactly like my RIR rooster did at about 14 weeks. I am new to chickens but at 18 weeks mine were huge with very prominent tail feathers, beard and comb. They didn't start crowing until 17 weeks and we got rid of them a week later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by